Thursday, May 07, 2009

Vampires and Organ Donation-- The Yuck Factor

Thanks to author blogger Georgia McBride for such a great review. Read it here.

It's interesting to me how several recent reviews mention that the reviewer was reluctant to read a book on organ donation, but how the story (because of the humor and romance) sucked them in.
I wonder why people seem so less squeamish about subjects like vampires and even date rape and anorexia, which are pretty standard YA fare. What is it about organ donation that ratchets ups the yuck factor?

1 comment:

Georgia McBride said...

Hi Jill! It was simply my pleasure to read and review this book! I tell everyone I can about it. For me, I think my reluctance comes from knowing that vampires aren't real. Organ donation is real, a fact of life and sometimes, perhaps like me, readers want an escape rather than to have to deal with something that could possible actually happen to them (boy is that a run-on sentence). Anyway, again, I applaud your work and the tremendous courage you've shown in addressing this topic. It was a pleasure to read and I enjoyed the book despite my own personal reservations regarding the topic. Thanks again-
Georgia McBride